Frontier Nursing University
Frontier Nursing University (FNU) has been educating nurse-midwives and nurse practitioners for nearly 80 years. FNU offers innovative distance education programs allowing registered nurses to become nurse-midwives, family nurse practitioners, women’s health care nurse practitioners or psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioners, and earn their graduate degrees online. Entry options for the Master of Science in Nursing program are offered for registered nurses with either an associate degree in nursing or a bachelor's degree in any field. The programs include the option to seamlessly continue on and complete a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree. Current nurse-midwives and nurse practitioners can also apply for Post-Graduate Certificates and the Post-Master’s Doctor of Nursing Practice.
FNU’s distance education programs allow you to remain in your community with only 1-3 brief on-campus sessions during your course of study. These sessions include a four-day initial orientation session and an advanced skill building session prior to starting the clinical experience. You will complete all coursework online and the clinical experience in your home community. Clinical preceptors are sought within your home area to help you get the hands-on clinical experience required for the nurse-midwifery or nurse practitioner professions.
- Complete your coursework online with only 1-3 brief on-campus visits.
- Clinical experience with practitioners in your own community.
- Full or part-time options available and new classes starting throughout the year.
- Entry as a registered nurse with either a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Associate Degree in Nursing or Bachelor's degree in any field.
- Master of Science in Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice and Post-Graduate Certificates offered.
- Earn your MSN or Post-Graduate Certificate to become a nurse-midwife, family nurse practitioner, women’s healthcare nurse practitioner or psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner with the option to seamlessly progress to the DNP degree.
- MSN degree can be completed in as little as two years full-time (3 years for those entering with ADN).
- 675 clinical hours for MSN; additional 360 clinical hours for those choosing to complete the DNP degree.
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Women's Health Care Nurse Practitioner
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Distance Education Options:
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- ADN Bridge Entry Option
- Post-Graduate Certificate
FNU is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award masters degrees and doctoral degrees. FNU is licensed by the Kentucky Council of Postsecondary Education to offer a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree and both certificates and a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) for nurse-midwifery, family nurse practitioner, and women's health care nurse practitioner specialties. The nurse-midwifery post-masters certificate program and master's program are fully accredited by the ACNM Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (ACME). The Doctor of Nursing Practice, the Master of Science in Nursing program and the post-master's certificates, including the nurse-midwifery, family nurse practitioner, and women's health care nurse practitioner tracks, are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). For full accreditation details visit http://www.frontier.edu/accreditation.