Featured on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams in their “What Works” segment, WGU is the recipient of the USDLA 21st Century Award for Best Practices in Distance Learning for 2014, awarded in recognition of their success in expanding access to higher education.
Online degrees based on your skills and knowledge
Western Governors University - a private, nonprofit, online university - features a competency-based approach to learning that emphasizes mastery of essential skills and knowledge instead of accumulating credit hours. Progress toward your online degree is based on passing rigorous assessments that measure your skills and knowledge in your field of study. WGU offers over 50 degree programs in teacher education, business, information technology, and healthcare (including nursing). These programs are best suited for individuals with at least one year of college experience. Here's what the WGU advantage means to you:
- An online learning and assessment model that gives you flexibility and control over your education.
- A mentoring team committed to your success.
- A trusted quality education from the only university to have ever received accreditation from four regional accrediting commissions.
- Affordable tuition with the possibility of accelerated learning that equals lower costs for your education.
Challenging and efficient. These are the hallmarks of WGU's competency-based approach. Learn more today!
Nursing Education at WGU
As the healthcare industry rapidly grows, exciting opportunities grow along with it. Be ready to take advantage of those opportunities with CCNE-accredited*, industry-respected online healthcare and nursing degrees from WGU. Developed by employers for the specific, current needs of the industry, WGU offers degree programs for registered nurses and healthcare professionals who seek the credentials for advancement.
* The nursing degree programs at WGU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036, 202-867-6791).
Western Governors University is:
- Challenging—The ideal student is a motivated self-starter who can commit at least 15 to 20 hours per week to their studies.
- Accredited—Western Governors University is regionally accredited.
- Affordable and Nonprofit—Tuition is less than half the cost of other reputable online universities. Your tuition goes toward your education, not to shareholders.
- Competency Based—WGU offers an innovative learning model, designed for adult learners like you, that measures learning, not time spent in class.
- Respected—Your degree coursework is relevant and up-to-date because it’s designed and developed in collaboration with industry experts.
- Flexible and Online—With no set class times, you can log in and learn anytime, anywhere.
WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The Teachers College at WGU is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). WGU’s nursing programs are also accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036, 202-867-6791).
In Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington, through partnerships with these states, WGU operates as WGU Indiana, WGU Missouri, WGU Tennessee, WGU Texas, and WGU Washington respectively. Students who live in these states will receive information from and ultimately enroll in these state universities.
Western Governors University is the only university to have received simultaneous accreditation by four regional accrediting commissions. Currently, WGU's "home" accrediting commission is the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, the same organization that accredits such leading institutions as the University of Washington, University of Oregon, University of Utah, Brigham Young University, and other public and private colleges. WGU is the first online university to receive NCATE accreditation for its degree programs that lead to teacher licensure from the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). WGU’s Health Informatics program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). WGU's Nursing programs are CCNE accredited (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036, 202-867-6791).